Skip to main content

Short Film Research: The Last Note

 Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog! The last phase of my short film journey when you were here, I was researching genres. Now we are on a different part. Now, my group and I are beginning to research actual short films. Specifically, we are looking at short films in the genre we chose mystery. In this blog, I am going to look at the mystery short film titled, “The Last Note”. I will be researching by looking at the conventions of the mystery genre across this short mystery movie to maybe help me use those conventions in my short film. So, let’s begin! Immediately when the movie begins the first thing I notice is the music used. The music used in this film was very dark and suspenseful and it stayed at a constant speed the entire time. I also noticed the lighting as well. The lighting was very dark, and it looked like a filter was applied in the editing process. I see that the music is playing through the whole beginning portion of the movie. I see lots of different camera editing done. I see lots of cross cutting between scenes as the talking is happening like when there is a flashback. I notice that when it does cross cutting to those flashbacks the lighting is even more dark than throughout the movie. I see another editing technique used is the concept of voiceover when there is no acting, the voices add to the whole darkness surrounded by mystery genre. There are also sound effects added in the editing process to add to the whole thriller aspect like a heart beating that builds suspense. Furthermore, there was flash cross cutting between different angles to build that suspense of the audience by looking at it from multiple angles. Another common editing used was fades between scenes. I think the simplicity of these camera edits added to the suspense because it made the audience become so focused to wonder what is going to happen next as a mystery genre does. Common angles I see are medium close ups. This made the audience focus entirely on what was going on to continue to put their focus on the scene. There were lots of tracking shots as well to make the audience look like they were a part of the story to make the audience more invested in the storyline. Other shots I notice commonly used were wide shots, over the shoulder shots, and more.Overall, from what I watched I see the key to the conventions of a mystery film is simplicity. I think the point of the overall convention is to make sure that the audience is so focused and paying attention because of how simple it is that the mystery plot twist at the end shocks them completely. What I liked about this is I liked how the story line was told backwards in a way. What I mean by this is there is a surprise at the beginning, with the movie starting with a big mystery. For example, this short film opens with a sequence of a guy carrying a body bag into the lake. But we then learn that the reason that happened was due to him being cheated on, but it ended with the plot twist of her poisoning him before he killed her. I also liked how the title of the movie leads us to the mystery but doesn’t expose the exact mystery, but it’s a title that makes the audience wonder and become invested, it's also dark in a way. This then leads into an explanation which is the plot twist at the end. Nothing about this genre really did not appeal to me. From some other research, I also found some long movie examples of the mystery genre. These include movies like Gone Girl and Missing. Well, that’s it for this blog, the movie that I watched was great, be back to hear about me reviewing another mystery short film!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard Blog

Storyboard Blog First Scene-  In the first scene, a couple is madly in love. They have just came off of a date and the girl has a rose in her hand given to her by her significant other. They are walking holding hands down the pathway.  Second Scene- In the second scene, the significant other breaks up with the girl. This absolutely crushes her and she becomes very emotional. She becomes this emotional not only because of the breakup but also because of how shocking and off guard it was.  Third Scene- In the Third scene , the girl turns to something that she always knows will make her feel better. She puts on her headphones to try to get over the heartbreak that her boyfriend just put her through and she is trying to cope with her feelings. Fourth Scene- After the girl puts on her headphones , she goes to her phone and turns on a song. This is the part where the music will come in and begin playing. She will begin playing the song “Save Your Tears” by The Weeknd, one of he...

Production Blog

 Production Blog Welcome back to my blog everyone. Now that my group and I finished our filming aspect, there's one more aspect we need to do for our commercial. This aspect is to edit and put final touches. So, we edited this commercial in 1 day. I was not heavily involved in the editing process. My group mate Mya was definitely the main editor of our commercial. She edited the commercial and sent it to us via text message when she was finished. When watching the editing that she did, there were a few problems Kyra and I noticed. We noticed specifically a problem with the transitions. We could see that the transition from scene 4 to 5 cut of the words one of our subject was saying. When the subject was trying to introduce himself and say his name, the transition came in too quick. Kyra and I saw this and we asked Mya to fix it. Another thing I noticed was wrong with the commercial, was the lack of commercial feeling. By the lack of commercial feeling, I was specifically relating t...

Here's My Commercial!

Hello everyone, here is my commercial. I had a great time filming with my group. Make sure you guys support the Fort Lauderdale Mock Trial Team, you can follow us on Instagram @flhs.mocktrial !