Skip to main content

Short Film Research: Buried Treasure

 Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog!. I am continuing to research short films and their conventions. I am reviewing short films that follow my genre to learn about conventions I would need to use for my short film. As the genre I am using is mystery, I am going to be watching mystery short films. In this blog I am going to research the mystery short film, “Buried Treasure”. I was able to find this short film option on YouTube. When the film opens, the music is the first thing once again that I notice. This music is different though from the last movie I reviewed. The difference was that this music got louder progressively as the opening of the short film continued. The lighting is the same though. I notice the dark lighting. The dark lighting creates a very deep shadow and puts spotlights on certain aspects. This goes back to the point convention I’ve noticed in mystery films which is having the audience very focused on the little details. When watching, I continue to see the convention commonly used in mystery short films which is simplicity. This is even shown through the camera shots and angles. These are shots and angles such as aerial view, tracking shots, and close up shots. Furthermore, I can see this through the editing like I have seen is commonly used. I can see this in the editing by the use of simplistic editing with cross cutting being the main editing technique used. Another type of camera trick I've seen used as a contention in mystery films is by the focus of the camera. For example, it is commonly used that the camera would be focused on one thing but something else would be happening in the background. I’ve also noticed lots of wide shots. Another thing I have noticed is that the music tends to play mostly the entire time throughout mystery short films. But it is so subtle that it doesn’t distract you from what is going on, it also remains very low. In mystery short films, there was also a lack of dialogue which I think makes the audience be focused on what is going on and not words. The use of sound effects to build the darkness factor of mystery films is also very conventional and the music changes based on what is happening in the movie. After reviewing this short film, I continued to look at more long normal films that matched the mystery genres. Some other movies I found include Oppenheimer and Shutter Island. When reviewing this movie, something I found that I disliked is the receptiveness of the genre. This receptiveness comes from the shots used and the editing techniques. While it is simplistic, after reviewing multiple mystery films the receptiveness of things in this film is something I found I was not fond of. I did like the filter added in the editing process to these movies though. I liked the gray contrast to make the dark and spooky convention. But that’s it from me my group picked our genre, we researched our genre further, and next we are going to start planning. Be back for more!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard Blog

Storyboard Blog First Scene-  In the first scene, a couple is madly in love. They have just came off of a date and the girl has a rose in her hand given to her by her significant other. They are walking holding hands down the pathway.  Second Scene- In the second scene, the significant other breaks up with the girl. This absolutely crushes her and she becomes very emotional. She becomes this emotional not only because of the breakup but also because of how shocking and off guard it was.  Third Scene- In the Third scene , the girl turns to something that she always knows will make her feel better. She puts on her headphones to try to get over the heartbreak that her boyfriend just put her through and she is trying to cope with her feelings. Fourth Scene- After the girl puts on her headphones , she goes to her phone and turns on a song. This is the part where the music will come in and begin playing. She will begin playing the song “Save Your Tears” by The Weeknd, one of he...

Here's My Commercial!

Hello everyone, here is my commercial. I had a great time filming with my group. Make sure you guys support the Fort Lauderdale Mock Trial Team, you can follow us on Instagram @flhs.mocktrial !

Group Blog

 Hello everyone and thank you for finding my group blog for my music video. I had a group for my commercial which was composed of Mya, Kyra, and I. But, for this project our group has gotten smaller and is now composed of just Mya and I. Kyra decided she wanted to work with a new group this time which we fully respect and we both still are great friends with Kyra. I chose to continue working with Mya because of her work ethic. Mya is great when it comes to group project because she gets stuff done. When we did our commercial, Mya would always remind Kyra and I in a group chat when we had due dates for the commercials. Mya would also always get her part of the project done within enough time for the rest of us to review it and make any changes if we needed to but there were always hardly any changed needed to be made. Another reason I decided to work with Mya again was because of her leadership when filming. When we were filming our commercial Mya would take charge without taking ov...