Skip to main content

Title Research: Split

 Hey guys , welcome back to my blog! Today, I will be researching the different titles of movies and the titles I will be looking at today come from the movie "Split" which I got from the "Art of the Title" website you read about earlier. I will not answer the questions about the opening sequence below.


 1. What titles are displayed during the opening sequences?

During the opening sequence the production companies are titled, then the actors and actresses, then the casting company, then the music supervisor, then the maker of the music, then the costume designer, then the editor, then the production designer, then the director of photography, then the executive producers, then the producer, then finally the director who also wrote it. 

2. What images are prioritized in the opening sequences?

In the opening sequence, images aren't used but rather its a video that gives you a snippet and continuation of the video after every couple titles. In the video we can see a girl has been kidnapped and she is being wheeled in some type of warehouse down some hallway , then she is laid down on a bed, and it ends with her waking up.

3. What connotations do these images carry?

The connotation these images carry is definitely scary. We can see the guy walk up to her in one of the continuations of the video and he gives off a scary vibe as well as it looks like he's going to hurt her and the girl looks out of her misery

4. How does the film establish a feeling of the genre from the outset?

The film establishes the feeling of that horror genre because it uses those conventions. In the opening sequence the scene theres dark lighting showing that horror genre convention. Also suspenseful "duh duh.... duh" music is on top of it. The titles look so simple which i think is on purpose because they want you to focus on that opening video. 

5. What strategies are used to ensure the film appeals to its target audience?

I think the strategies used to ensure the film appeal to its target audience which is horror lovers is definitely not playing the titles while the video is happening but actually "split" to the video every couple titles which is for sure purposeful as the movie is called "split". It just also has that scary horror atmosphere to it keeping viewers on their toes. 

6. How has technology been used effectively? You want to consider camera angles, transitions, and editing techniques.

Technology has been used effectively within the shots theres tracking shots the girl being wheeled through the building. Theres low angles shot of the girl being put into the bed where she looks out of it and drugged and the antagonist is high up giving that power struggle of the villan. Also like I said previously in the editing, it splits from titles to the video which is smart considering the title of the film. Also the titles are very minimal which I think they wanted in the editing process to have the focus on that creepy opening video. 

Thanks for reading my blog , be back to see the next horror movie I pick and research their title use in their opening sequence!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard Blog

Storyboard Blog First Scene-  In the first scene, a couple is madly in love. They have just came off of a date and the girl has a rose in her hand given to her by her significant other. They are walking holding hands down the pathway.  Second Scene- In the second scene, the significant other breaks up with the girl. This absolutely crushes her and she becomes very emotional. She becomes this emotional not only because of the breakup but also because of how shocking and off guard it was.  Third Scene- In the Third scene , the girl turns to something that she always knows will make her feel better. She puts on her headphones to try to get over the heartbreak that her boyfriend just put her through and she is trying to cope with her feelings. Fourth Scene- After the girl puts on her headphones , she goes to her phone and turns on a song. This is the part where the music will come in and begin playing. She will begin playing the song “Save Your Tears” by The Weeknd, one of he...

Production Blog

Hey everyone welcome back to my blog! Today I want to talk to you about a key part of my music video process. Specifically, I want to tell you how my group and I planned out our vision for our music video. I first started thinking of a vision when researching other pop songs music videos. I was looking and I knew that I wanted to tell a story with my music video. I didn't really come up with much. Now, it led to me and my group member Mya discussing visions. Mya and I discussed it over text messaging. So, we were thinking and suddenly an idea popped in my head. I pitched the idea to my Mya. Once, I pitched it Mya was on bored and liked it as well. I thought of the idea to do a breakup theme music video. Since our song was called "Save Your Tears", we wanted to incorporate that into our video. So, we for sure wanted to do a teardrop scene in our video. Mya and I listen to this song all the time. When we listen to it, it gives love vibes. So once I took the love vibe and th...

Production Blog

 Production Blog Welcome back to my blog everyone. Now that my group and I finished our filming aspect, there's one more aspect we need to do for our commercial. This aspect is to edit and put final touches. So, we edited this commercial in 1 day. I was not heavily involved in the editing process. My group mate Mya was definitely the main editor of our commercial. She edited the commercial and sent it to us via text message when she was finished. When watching the editing that she did, there were a few problems Kyra and I noticed. We noticed specifically a problem with the transitions. We could see that the transition from scene 4 to 5 cut of the words one of our subject was saying. When the subject was trying to introduce himself and say his name, the transition came in too quick. Kyra and I saw this and we asked Mya to fix it. Another thing I noticed was wrong with the commercial, was the lack of commercial feeling. By the lack of commercial feeling, I was specifically relating t...