Skip to main content

Genre Research: A Quiet Place

 Hey guys and welcome back to my blog. The last time you read I was researching movies that fall under my chosen genre: horror. Now, I will continue that journey with today's movie , A Quiet Place . A  Quiet Place is a horror movie released in 2018. But while this is a horror genre it is a very unique horror movie that relies heavily on sound. This element is what makes the film so remarkable. The disturbing sounds, the fact that characters cannot make noise, and the movie's portrayal of this concept are all very well done. The movie contains many of the usual horror movie conventions, such as scary monsters and jump scares, with some moments of darkness. However, what really sets this movie apart is its use of sound. The way the story is crafted to utilize the horror of sound is truly remarkable and something to emulate in the future. It goes against usual horror movie conventions a little of not having that eerie sound constantly but it adds a new layer to the horror genre , something revolutionary. The acting in the movie is also exceptional, with the actors doing an excellent job of portraying the characters' need for silence. I was also impressed with the computer generated effects of the  monster in this movie. The special effects followed the conventions and it does this while looking convincing. One issue I had with the film was some inconsistencies regarding the actual sounds in the movie. I hope to avoid these issues in my own work. Additionally, while A Quiet Place adheres to the common horror movie conventions, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. I believe it's essential to switch things up every once in a while to keep things interesting. Nonetheless, the movie still remains true to the conventions of the horror genre. Well that's it thank you for reading my blog and be back for more next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard Blog

Storyboard Blog First Scene-  In the first scene, a couple is madly in love. They have just came off of a date and the girl has a rose in her hand given to her by her significant other. They are walking holding hands down the pathway.  Second Scene- In the second scene, the significant other breaks up with the girl. This absolutely crushes her and she becomes very emotional. She becomes this emotional not only because of the breakup but also because of how shocking and off guard it was.  Third Scene- In the Third scene , the girl turns to something that she always knows will make her feel better. She puts on her headphones to try to get over the heartbreak that her boyfriend just put her through and she is trying to cope with her feelings. Fourth Scene- After the girl puts on her headphones , she goes to her phone and turns on a song. This is the part where the music will come in and begin playing. She will begin playing the song “Save Your Tears” by The Weeknd, one of he...

Production Blog

 Production Blog Welcome back to my blog everyone. Now that my group and I finished our filming aspect, there's one more aspect we need to do for our commercial. This aspect is to edit and put final touches. So, we edited this commercial in 1 day. I was not heavily involved in the editing process. My group mate Mya was definitely the main editor of our commercial. She edited the commercial and sent it to us via text message when she was finished. When watching the editing that she did, there were a few problems Kyra and I noticed. We noticed specifically a problem with the transitions. We could see that the transition from scene 4 to 5 cut of the words one of our subject was saying. When the subject was trying to introduce himself and say his name, the transition came in too quick. Kyra and I saw this and we asked Mya to fix it. Another thing I noticed was wrong with the commercial, was the lack of commercial feeling. By the lack of commercial feeling, I was specifically relating t...

Here's My Commercial!

Hello everyone, here is my commercial. I had a great time filming with my group. Make sure you guys support the Fort Lauderdale Mock Trial Team, you can follow us on Instagram @flhs.mocktrial !